In this section learn that ultraviolet (UV) radiation in sunlight is the major cause to skin cancer.
Educational standards - statements
- Gene mutation in a cell can result in uncontrolled division called cancer. Exposure of cells to certain chemicals and radiation increases mutations and thus the chance of cancer.| AAAS#5C/H6
- Many diseases can be prevented, controlled, or cured. Some diseases, such as cancer, result from specific body dysfunctions and cannot be transmitted.| NSES#F 1.2
- [Students] can consider personal and social consequences of individual choices in health (sexual activity, immunization)| AAAS#7D
- Personal choice concerning fitness and health involves multiple factors. Personal goals, peer and social pressures, ethnic and religious beliefs, and understanding of biological consequences can all influence decisions about health practices.| NSES#F 1.3
- Tables, graphs, and symbols are alternative ways of representing data and relationships that can be translated from one to another.| AAAS#9B/H4
- Much can be learned about the internal workings of science and the nature of science from study of individual scientists, their daily work, and their efforts to advance scientific knowledge in their area of study.| NSES#G 3.1