In this section pharmacogenetics is discussed and how people can have very different responses to the same drug and treatment.
Educational standards - statements
- Knowledge of molecular structure and interactions aids in synthesizing new drugs and predicting their effects.| AAAS#8F/H5
- Knowledge of genetics is opening whole new fields of health care. In diagnosis, mapping of genetic instructions in cells makes it possible to detect defective genes that may lead to poor health. In treatment, substances from genetically engineered organisms may reduce the cost and side effects of replacing missing body chemicals.| AAAS#8F/H3
- Scientists in different disciplines ask different questions, use different methods of investigation, and accept different types of evidence to support their explanations.| NSES#E 1.1
- Science often advances with the introduction of new technologies. Solving technological problems often results in new scientific knowledge. New technologies often extend the current levels of scientific understanding and introduce new areas of research.| NSES#E 1.2
- Much can be learned about the internal workings of science and the nature of science from study of individual scientists, their daily work, and their efforts to advance scientific knowledge in their area of study.| NSES#G 3.1